Tuesday, August 9, 2011

On A Jet Plane

We were flying low over the rice patties of Hanoi. The air was warm and the sound of the chopper... woke me from my sleep. It was then I realized that I was actually on an airplane, not a chopper and there were no rice paties to be seen, literally, it was pitch dark below us. Only small little lights glimmered here and there to remind us there was ground below.

We are officially in Ha Noi, Viet Nam. Can't say yet what's it's like as it's been a grand total of two hours and it is 2:30 AM here. What I can tell you is this is a city that sleeps. Not much of nightlife on a Wednesday from what we can gather, and no Facebook access :(

The flights were thankfully uneventful, long, but otherwise fine. We both slept through most of the first(14 and a half hour) leg. I don't think I could recomend China Eastern, the food is terrible and they don't have those nifty personal entertainment systems that let you watch old re-runs of House for hours. But everyone was pleasant.

Glad to be on the road again, the scent of Tropical Asia is heavy in the air. Its an aroma that I love dearly, cigarettes, concrete and the musky odor of palm trees, humidity and sweat. It reaks of paradise.

To sleep now so we can go out tomorrow.






No comments:

Post a Comment