Wednesday, January 4, 2012

To-MAY-to Ta-Ma-to

By Kathleen

The past week we’ve been picking tomatoes. Like most ground fruit and veg., tomato picking is hard work. After six hours your legs hurt so bad getting from sitting to standing or visa versa is supremely difficult. Your lower back has turned into a painful muscle and all you want to do is lie down.

It’s even more challenging when it 40 C (105 F) or raining. But weather or no weather the picking must go on.. unless of course we can’t pick because of the weather.

Either way its actually one of the most enjoyable jobs I’ve ever had. Frankly, even in an office chair or an air conditioned café my legs and or back would hurt and here when I come home at the end of the day, work is done. I find I’m not bring back half the drama I have previously. Besides it’s satisfying to pick the fruit.

I’ve had some deep thoughts (well, not that deep) about food and life but I’ll get to those later. I want to show you what we’ve been up to. ( in reverse order)  *Oh and to those who have requested it, comments are back on.
Pickers' Paraphernalia and rainbow of tomatoes.

Industrial Irrigation can look surprisingly pretty in the afternoon light.

Gum Trees by a muddy river

Quiet cove at Manly in Sydney

Fiz posing in from of Hat Head Lighthouse Point, NSW

Yep that's a kangaroo hopping by. They're FAST.

No comments:

Post a Comment